Monday, January 12, 2009

William Winkler Interview 1.12.09


Below is a URL for a video interview of local community activist and formerly homeless individual William Winkler, done by a local film student, Jazmin Ely.

My video uploading software is, well, freeware, so apologies for the stamp in the center. The audio is poor as well, but the commentary is valid and worth turning up your speakers a bit.

Enjoy!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6994044185372754991&hl=en


Oh, the picture isn't of William. It was found on a google image search, and is available online:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennafreeman/1393093033/

I think the man in the picture is named Rob, but he mostly keeps to himself, so I'm not sure.

1 comment:

Spirulina said...

Hi,
I have to say, I wish the sound was better on the interview with William Winkler. I happen to have known him and his family years ago. My Mother was widowed by Williams Brother Mike. Mike and My Mother had been separated for a couple of years before he died. She hadn't even heard from him in at least a year before he passed.

I also baby-sat Williams children when they were tiny. My Mother was very good friends with William Winklers ex-wife Molly. They were the sweetest boys! William and Christopher were the smartest kids! I really loved those boys.....

Now, unfortunately, Christopher is a wanted man here in Spokane. He apparently has a long criminal record. I just saw him on crime-stoppers northwest. It breaks my heart! I cant help but picture his sweet little baby-face, saying, "froggy"! (It was one of his first words) It's hard to look at the mug shot of little Christopher, a hardened criminal- grown man, with just a small shadow of the innocent child peering out.......I want to cry.

It's sad to see what addiction has done to a couple of generations of Winklers. Williams choices have undoubtedly affected a lot of people around him (wives/children/grandchildren?)

Like I said before, I wish the sound was better on the interview. It seemed to me that maybe William was being honest about his life and choices????? Good for him if that is the case. I don't know for sure because I couldn't understand a single word of it. Could you consider adding sub-titles to the clip? I would be very interested to hear what he has to say.